Primary Purpose and Goal of Role
A Security Engineer handles the digital security for their company or clients. Their duties include building digital security protocols, operating a cyber security system and maintaining an IT security infrastructure for their organization or their clients’ organizations.
- Develop, execute, and track the performance of security measures to protect information and network infrastructure and computer systems.
- Design computer security strategy and engineer comprehensive cybersecurity architecture.
- Identify, define, and document system security requirements and recommend solutions to management.
- Configure, troubleshoot, and maintain security infrastructure software and hardware.
- Install software that monitors systems and networks for security breaches and intrusions.
- Monitor systems for irregular behavior and set up preventive measures.
- Plan, develop, implement, and update company’s information security strategy.
- Educate and train staff on information system security best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
- Professional certification in an information security domain such as CISSP, GSEC, CEH or CISM desired
- Agile project management methodology certificate or training preferred
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or a related field
- Five or more years’ work experience as a System Security Engineer or related position
- Proven experience developing, operating, and maintaining security systems
- Extensive knowledge of operating system and database security
- Proficiency in networking technologies, network security and network monitoring solutions
- Knowledge of security systems including anti-virus applications, content filtering, firewalls, authentication systems and intrusion detection and notification systems
- In-depth knowledge of security protocols and principles
- Critical thinking skills and ability to solve complex problems
- Basic coding skills, such as HTML, CSS and other languages
- Authorized to work in United States without the need for visa sponsorship now or in the future
- Ability to solve complex problems spanning multiple technologies and disciplines
- Demonstrates leadership through ownership of issue analysis and resolution efforts and commitment to resolve technical issues in a 24x7 SLA-bound operating environment
- Collaborates with team members to drive a service-oriented approach, with the ability to focus on and deliver assigned tasks in a timely manner
- Fosters innovation through a methodical approach to change execution, implementation, and documentation
- Communicates effectively with all audiences to provide expert advice on systems-related topics